Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Surprise Christmas Gift


We went to Boston today to visit the good Doctor, anticipating that we would come away with a date for surgery in early January. It turns out that Santa had something complete different in mind. Instead, the first few months of the new year will be spent doing chemotherapy. The Doc said we are going for a cure here and by doing chemo first we have a better chance to shrink the size of the tumor and improve the success of the surgery.


So we are meeting with an oncologist on Tuesday of next week to get that ball rolling and surgery will be delayed until I have completed 2-3 rounds of chemo. Don't yet know what the side affects will be. Always something new to figure out. We will be doing the chemo here on the cape and I will look forward to getting some acupuncture to help with at least some of the likely side affects.


I want to take a minute to thank Ann and Norm Farr and Susan Loucks and Kyle Banks for without their help I would be in deep trouble. They have graciously volunteered to organize all the wonderful people who are keeping us well fed and wined, organizing my walking buddies and all the myriad of other errands taking place to keep our lives running smoothly during this challenging time.


Finally I would like to thank Susie Houghton, my friend and officemate, who is keeping me in fresh flowers via this amazing group of friends I have surrounding me. The latest flowers (the Christmas arrangement at the top) are from my sister Gita in Minnesota. They are stunning and oh so fragrant. Thank you so much! Love to all, Kate

No comments: